When I announced my candidacy for a second term a few months ago, I made note of the substantial economic progress Huntington has made in the past few years:
As a city we have come a long way since January of 2012. More Huntington residents are working and employed in meaningful jobs in manufacturing companies around the city, making some of the very best products in the world.
- We make 80% of the body panels for the celebrated Chevrolet Corvette at Continental Structural Plastics.
- Huntington is an industry leader in aluminum recycling and aluminum wheel refinishing.
- Onward Manufacturing makes thousands of “Consumer Report Best Buy” barbeque grills branded as the Huntington Rebel and Huntington Patriot.
- Bendix, United Technologies, Echo Lakes Foods, Huntington Sheet Metal, Dean Foods, Shuttleworth, Schneider/Square D, Our Sunday Visitor, Augertorque, and Gerdau are industry leaders in their respective manufacturing fields and have entered or expanded their operations here in Huntington over the past three years.
- At the end of September 2014 our local unemployment rate stood at 4.6%, down from 14.6% at the height of the recession in 2009. Our citizens are highly skilled and have a tremendous work ethic.
High employment is good for everyone!
For the love of Huntington!